The Human Resources Management Essentials course will introduce the fundamental concepts and practices required to manage people effectively. A focus on guidelines for effective recruitment, selection, performance management and training will be highlighted. Participants will have the opportunity to examine the impact of employment legislation and organizational strategy on human resources management practices.
Learners who successfully complete the class will be able to:
- Understand legislative requirements in the employment relationship, including the Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code and Labour Relations Act.
- Identify critical requirements to attract and acquire skilled talent and explore best practices for developing talent.
- Determine strategies to effectively manage in a unionized environment, including dealing with challenging issues such as discipline, performance management, and job competition.
- Explore strategies to design and foster a Human Resource Strategy that directly aligns practices with organizational goals and actively contributes to the bottom line.
- Examine the strategic role of training and development within an organization and develop an organizational training needs analysis.
Learners will actively participate in the course and complete a combination of assignments. Learners will be assigned a grade of "complete or incomplete" upon completion.