At the end of the module, the successful student will know and be able to:
- Understand the structure of HTML5 and CSS.
- Explain the importance of responsive web design.
- Explain the principles of SEO.
Level: Intermediate (students are expected to have basic web design knowledge and have experience creating basic websites)
Textbook: There are no textbooks required for this class. There is an optional textbook that can be used for the first two classes of the certificate.
- Connolly, R., & Hoar, R., Fundamentals of Web Development, 3rd edition, Randy Connolly and Ricardo Hoar, Published by Pearson (January 23, 2021), 2022
Learners are expected to work on assignments outside of the classroom (approximately 2-3 hours/week). To successfully complete this course and receive a Certificate of Completion for Web Design and Development, learners will build a responsive website using HTML and CSS. The website will be documented in the ePortfolio. The ePortfolio will be used to showcase current skills and new skills obtained throughout the certificate.
- Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
- Class is delivered online through the Brightspace Learning Management System (for class materials and assignments) and Microsoft Teams for class meetings.
Brightspace and Microsoft Teams Requirements:
- A link will be provided through email prior to the first day of class so that you will have access to all course resources and streaming functions
- Once you register for this class you will be issued a UWinID. Please activate your UWinID as soon as possible. Document your UWinID and password as you will need it to access Brightspace and Teams. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit this site for Brightspace technical requirements
Completion of the Fundamentals of Web Design course is strongly recommended. Students are expected to have basic design knowledge and have built a basic website in the past. It will be expected that learners will have English language proficiency.