Developed by industry-experts, this course will build knowledge on the fundamentals of lean methodologies acquired by the manufacturing industry and provide training on how to apply lean tools to a variety of areas of business operations with real-world scenarios. Learners are encouraged to share examples of challenges from their business processes for discussion on how to solve these challenges through the application of lean management techniques.
Through a combination of discussions, simulations, and hands-on activities, professionals will be equipped with the mindset and tools needed for establishing continuous improvement at their companies and building the culture to sustain it. Participants can expect to gain a strong understanding of how to achieve the following:
- Approach problem solving effectively, using Lean methodology
- Identify waste and understand value
- Deploy the right lean tools for process improvement based on the scenario
- Increase productivity of teams by introducing Lean Culture
The participants in the course will identify an area of interest within a process, apply the basic lean tools learned in the class, and complete a kaizen exercise. The exercise will address the identification of a problem, an analysis to determine the root cause, finding a solution, implementation, and tracking results to complete a hands-on exercise.
This is an introductory course designed for learners with little or no prior knowledge of lean methodologies. This is a foundational step in learning how to build continuous improvement in an organization.
In the video: Dr. Asif Khan provides and overview of Continuing Education course on continuous improvement, called Kaizen: The Foundation of Lean Culture
- Week 1: History and Significance of Lean
- Getting Started
- Manufacturing Evolution
- History Behind Lean
- Need of a Continuous Improvement System
- Week 2: Lean Methods
- Lean manufacturing principles and Lean Operations
- Success of Toyota Production System (the Toyota Way)
- Week 3: Using Tools to Apply Lean Concepts in an Organization
- House of Lean
- The Five Principles
- Seven wastes
- Lean Tools
- Week 4: Lean Assessment and Implementation
- Where Do We Start?
- Process mapping
- 5S / Visual Management
- Lean Assessment and Future Planning
- Where Do We Start?
To successfully complete this course, learners must:
- Attend at least 75% of the classes
- Successfully complete an assignment
Upon successful completion, learners will receive a Certificate of Completion issued by the University of Windsor Continuing Education.
Learning Management System Requirements
All course details and materials can be accessed through Brightspace. A link will be provided through email to Brightspace and Microsoft Teams and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Brightspace and Microsoft Teams. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.