- Studies in language and literature
- Language acquisition
- Individuals and societies
- The arts
- Have an initial qualification that is the first degree of a university or other institution, or possess a qualification and/or experience that is deemed equivalent. This usually refers to a Bachelor's degree. And;
- Have a recognized teaching qualification or be in the process of completing an education degree. The IBO does acknowledge that some experienced IB teachers may not hold a current teaching qualification. In such cases, a minimum of three years full time professional teaching experience in a government-approved/registered school is required.
- teaching subjects stated on a recognized teaching qualification (for practicing Ontario teachers, providing an OCT # will be sufficient), OR
- three or more years teaching experience in the subject area, supported by letter(s) from your employer(s), OR
- unofficial transcript or copy of degree specifying a major or a minor qualification in the selected specialization (for those entering or enrolled in a teacher training program).