• Understanding the acculturation and resettlement process
• Reviewing ESL and ELD programs
• Reviewing the stages of English language proficiency
• Understanding theories of second language acquisition
• Examining the different models for delivering language instruction
• Understanding how to handle error correction
• Understanding language needs in order to acquire better English skills (homonyms, synonyms, stressed and unstressed syllables, rhythms, and intonations, etc)
• Understanding the stages of communication and levels of questioning
• Examining the Canadian Language Benchmarks
• Developing strategies for listening, speaking, reading and writing
• Reviewing assessment techniques for ELLs
• Becoming familiar with the ‘Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol’ (SIOP) model'
There are no textbooks required for this course.
- "Certificate of Qualification" with basic qualifications in two divisions, (i.e. Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior).
- "Certificate of Qualification" must be in good standing.
Note: Candidates who hold Technological Education qualifications without basic qualifications in Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior divisions are eligible to register in this course.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites