• Understanding the acculturation and resettlement process
• Reviewing ESL and ELD programs
• Reviewing the stages of English language proficiency
• Understanding theories of second language acquisition
• Examining the different models for delivering language instruction
• Understanding how to handle error correction
• Understanding language needs in order to acquire better English skills (homonyms, synonyms, stressed and unstressed syllables, rhythms, and intonations, etc)
• Understanding the stages of communication and levels of questioning
• Examining the Canadian Language Benchmarks
• Developing strategies for listening, speaking, reading and writing
• Reviewing assessment techniques for ELLs
• Becoming familiar with the ‘Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol’ (SIOP) model'
There are no textbooks required for this course.
OSAP Funding for AQ Courses
The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) now includes funding for hundreds of micro-credential programs. The micro-credentials plan ensures loans and grants will be available to more learners to rapidly upskill and reskill for in-demand jobs. Please be advised that this AQ course is on the list of eligible courses for OSAP funding. Please view the Micro-credential website for details and eligibility. https://www.ontario.ca/page/micro-credentials-ontarios-postsecondary-schools.
Who can get OSAP?
OSAP is open to Ontario residents of any age who are:
- Canadian citizens
- permanent residents, or
- protected persons
If you have questions regarding Micro-credential funding, please contact Student Awards and Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Certificate of Qualification" with basic qualifications in two divisions, (i.e. Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior).
- "Certificate of Qualification" must be in good standing.
Note: Candidates who hold Technological Education qualifications without basic qualifications in Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior divisions are eligible to register in this course.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites