Topics in this course include:
- Ministry of Education K-12 curriculum guidelines
- OSBIE Safety Standards and practices
- Characteristics of the adolescent learner
- Teaching and learning styles; differentiating instruction for practical use in the classroom and gym
- Formative and summative assessments in the classroom and gym
- Individual sports (track and field)
- Team sports (volleyball, soccer, basketball)
- Physical Education and students with special needs
- Daily Physical Activity
- Teaching games for understanding
- Health and the media
NOTE: This is a blended course consisting of 72 hours of face-to-face time and 28 hours online.
LOCATION: Faculty of Education gym. The dates for the face-to-face sessions are: April 29, 2019 to June 6, 2019 - Mondays (5:00-9:00 p.m.) - and Saturdays (8:00-4:30 p.m.)
- Hold a “Certificate of Qualification” showing successful completion of Health and Physical Education (I/S), Part 2.
- "Certificate of Qualification" must be in good standing.
- Confirmation of Teaching Experience form, signed by a supervisory officer*, confirming two years of teaching experience completed after teacher’s certification. The Superintendent must also recognize on this Confirmation of Teaching Experience form that in one of these years, the candidate has taught Health and Physical Education.
The form must be submitted prior to the course start date.
* The Ontario College of Teachers defines “supervisory official” as the Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent of the school board for a teacher employed by a Board of Education. (A principal or headmaster is not recognized in this capacity).