- Role of counselors and teachers in implementing the guidance and career education
- Developing programs that address student interpersonal and career expectations found in the Ontario curriculum appropriate to student developmental and diverse backgrounds
- Understanding career development and education theory
- Investigating post-secondary education, training, and destinations
- Understanding, within the guidance and career education context, education-related legislation, Ministry of Education, district school board and school policies and procedures related to issues such as Identification, Placement and Review Committee (IPRC), Individual Education Plan (IEP), Ontario Student Record (OSR) Ontario Student Transcript (OST), Annual Education Plan
- Understanding legislation as related to co-operative education, community service, and work environments
- Demonstrating knowledge of legal/ethical issues related to counseling, career education, and workplace learning as they apply to both teacher and counselor
One assignment will require you to read from Ethical Guidelines for Ontario School Counsellors, 2011 which is available for purchase on the OSCA website if you cannot borrow a copy from a Guidance Office. Many offices may still have the 2003 edition which is suitable for the assignment. www.osca.ca/about-us/osca-store/ethical-guidelines-new.html
- Hold a “Certificate of Qualification” showing basic qualifications in two divisions, i.e. Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior.
- "Certificate of Qualification" must be in good standing.
NOTE: Candidates who hold Technological Education qualifications but do not have any basic qualifications in Primary, Junior, Intermediate or Senior divisions are eligible to register for this course.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites