Topics in this course include:
- Investigation of senior Curriculum
- Investigation of the senior learner
- Expectation based learning: creating meaningful assignments
- Cooperative and Collaborative learning at the senior level
- Examination of ministry curriculum documents
- Teaching Literacy through geography
- Incorporating and evaluating O.S.S. learning expectations
- Geography for the applied student
- Classroom Management
- Technology in the classroom (GIS, Online Learning, Internet Support)
- Teaching Citizenship: local, national, global
- Social Science: relevance, issues, challenges
- Assessment and Evaluation: (building rubrics)
- Lesson Planning and Unit Planning
NOTE: A transcript should be submitted to our office prior to registering for this course in order to verify that the candidate has at least FIVE full (6.0) or TEN half (3.0) credits in Geography. If a candidate has Senior Division qualifications, then the transcript should show TWO full or FOUR half credits in Geography. Once approval has been given by e-mail, the candidate should then register for the course.
- Hold a Certificate of Qualification or showing basic qualifications in two divisions: i.e. Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior. Candidates with an Interim Certificate may have additional criteria for registration as required by the Ontario College of Teachers.
- Transcript confirming FIVE full (or equivalent) university course in the teaching subject. For candidates who already hold a Senior basic qualification, a minimum of TWO full (or equivalent) courses in the teaching subject are required.
It is requested that you complete an application if you have enrolled for this course. If you would like to be pre-screened for eligibility it is appreciated that you submit an application well in advance of the semester deadline date.
How Do I complete an application form?
- You will need to either create a student account or login to your existing account at https://register.continue.uwindsor.ca/
- Once you have access to your account you will see “my applications” on the menu items shown on the left side of the screen
- Select available applications
- Complete the ABQ Application (Pre-requisite Credits) application.
- Make sure you upload files to the application form otherwise they will not be included with your application. (Chose file/upload/Save). Your files will be shown if you successfully uploaded documents.
- Make sure you select save and submit in order to submit your application.
- The admissions team will review your application and respond as soon as possible. It can take two weeks or more for a response regarding eligibility due to the volume of applications received.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites