First Nations, Métis and Inuit Studies to extend skills and knowledge of teachers in the design, delivery, and assessment of a subject-specific intermediate division program.
- understanding the theoretical foundations of Native Studies
- understanding learning theory specific to Native Studies
- demonstrating knowledge of the Ministry of Education curriculum policy
- employing instructional strategies appropriate for the adolescent learner for both individual and group learning experiences
- understanding, devising and employing a variety of assessment and evaluation instruments appropriate to the developmental stage of students and the delivery of the curriculum
- implementing effective classroom management strategies appropriate for the adolescent learner in Native Studies
- identifying factors in a diverse and changing society that impact on the adolescent learner (e.g., media, technology, socio-economic status, family patterns, language, culture, gender)
- understanding the importance of communicating with, involving and supporting parents
- understanding and employing a variety of effective communication strategies for collaborating with parents and others
- explaining expectations, programs, observations and assessments to parents/guardians
- identifying provincial legislation, local policies and procedures and community norms that impact on the education of the adolescent learner
- Hold a Certificate of Qualification showing basic qualifications in two divisions: i.e. Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior.
- An acceptable university degree
There are NO undergrad pre-requisites for this course. A transcript does not need to be submitted.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites