The design of this course will provide teachers with the essential skills and knowledge needed to develop and deliver an engaging English program at the senior level. An understanding of theoretical foundations, reflections, and exposure to a range of literary genres, will enable candidates to develop dynamic teaching strategies inclusive of students with exceptionalities.
• knowing how to modify and accommodate the needs of students with exceptionalities
• enhancing delight in reading, writing and speaking as expressive tools
• knowing how to write for a variety of purposes
• enhancing listening and viewing skills for the purposes of analysis of films, television
• understanding the role of media in the classroom
• understanding and employing a variety of assessment and evaluation instruments
• developing skills of critical analysis orally and in written formats
• articulating reasons and supporting choices in books, theatre, and the media
• having an awareness of information technology appropriate for students
- Hold a "Certificate of Qualification" showing basic qualifications in two divisions: i.e. Primary, Junior, Intermediate, or Senior.
- "Certificate of Qualification" must be in good standing.
- Official transcript with original seal and/or signature confirming FIVE full (or equivalent) university course in the teaching subject. For candidates who already hold a Senior basic qualification, a minimum of TWO full (or equivalent) courses in the teaching subject are required.
It is requested that you complete an application if you have enrolled for this course. If you would like to be pre-screened for eligibility it is appreciated that you submit an application well in advance of the semester deadline date.
How Do I complete an application form?
- You will need to either create a student account or login to your existing account at https://register.continue.uwindsor.ca/
- Once you have access to your account you will see “my applications” on the menu items shown on the left side of the screen
- Select available applications
- Complete the ABQ Eligibility Application (Pre-requisite Credit requirements) application.
- Make sure you upload files to the application form otherwise they will not be included with your application. (Chose file/upload/Save). Your files will be shown if you successfully uploaded documents.
- Make sure you select save and submit in order to submit your application.
- The admissions team will review your application and respond as soon as possible. It can take two weeks or more for a response regarding eligibility due to the volume of applications received.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites