Intermediate English ABQ gives teachers the qualifications to teach in the Intermediate Division (grades 7 to 10). The course provides teachers with the opportunity to deepen their knowledge and understanding of the foundations of English instruction and literacy practices at the Intermediate level. Course candidates will review the fundamentals of a composed language program, and will ultimately be able to carry out a successful program by developing a deeper understanding of the elements required. Strategies to achieve this will be shared, the theoretical and practical, as outlined in the Ontario Curriculum and supplemental course materials.
- understanding learning theory specific to English in the intermediate division
- knowing how to write for a variety of purposes enhancing listening and viewing skills for the purposes of analysis and interpretation of films, television, and media
- integrating information and communication technology into teaching practice.
- understanding the role of media and using media in the classroom
- understanding how the study of English can contribute to the lives and learning of adolescent learners
- understanding the development of a piece of writing
- articulating reasons and supporting personal choices for books, theatre and/ or the media, orally and in writing
- reading, reflecting and responding to a range of literary genres through a variety of processes of inquiry
- exploring the relationship between life (the human condition) and literature
- knowing how to research in a variety of ways
- recognizing legal issues related to adolescents
It is requested that you complete an application if you have enrolled for this course. If you would like to be pre-screened for eligibility it is appreciated that you submit an application well in advance of the semester deadline date.
How Do I complete an application form?
- You will need to either create a student account or login to your existing account at https://register.continue.uwindsor.ca/
- Once you have access to your account you will see “my applications” on the menu items shown on the left side of the screen
- Select available applications
- Complete the ABQ Eligibility Application (Pre-requisite Credit requirements) application.
- Make sure you upload files to the application form otherwise they will not be included with your application. (Chose file/upload/Save). Your files will be shown if you successfully uploaded documents.
- Make sure you select save and submit in order to submit your application.
- The admissions team will review your application and respond as soon as possible. It can take two weeks or more for a response regarding eligibility due to the volume of applications received.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites