This is the seventh module of the Introduction to Critical Care Program, geared toward Nursing Professionals. It includes 5 hours of self-directed course content including instructional videos, a quiz and the opportunity to attend office hours with an instructor from the Faculty of Nursing to discuss your questions related to the Multisystem Critical Care Essentials module.
This module delivers a review of an in-depth review of the different types of shock (hypovolemic, cardiogenic, neurogenic and anaphylactic), the SIRS, sepsis - multisystem organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS) continuum, including sepsis screening, international sepsis and septic shock treatment bundles, rhabdomyolysis, necrotizing fasciitis and behavioral issues in critical care, including alcohol withdrawal and substance abuse. Within each topic, you will explore assessments, evidence-based interventions and strategies to prevent complications.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various stages and types of shock.
- Describe the care of a patient progressing along the sepsis continuum.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to screen and manage a patient at risk for alcohol withdrawal syndrome.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to screen and manage patients admitted for drug overdoses.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the signs and symptoms of necrotizing fasciitis and rhabdomyolysis.
- Describe the care of a patient with necrotizing fasciitis and rhabdomyolysis.
Instructor will be available via e-mail to answer questions and book individual appointments, as needed. Learners will be expected to review materials and complete quizzes to receive a grade of complete for this module.
- This module is offered through D2L Brightspace. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
- All module details can be accessed through Brightspace. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
- Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Brightspace. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brightspace works equally well in all modern browsers on PCs and Macs: MS Edge (recommended by IT Services for all apps), Chrome, Firefox and Safari (Mac). On mobile devices, Safari is the only supported browser on Apple iOS and Chrome is the only supported browser on Google Android. Please review the Brightspace system requirements.
This module is designed for nursing professionals or senior students (Nursing or Medical) who already have a basic understanding of critical care and wish to learn more about providing care to patients in the critical care areas.
It is expected that learners will have:
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
- Experience working with word processing, email and web browsing
- English language proficiency