This is the second module of the Introduction to Critical Care Program, geared toward Nursing Professionals. It includes 5 hours of self-directed course content including instructional videos, a quiz and the opportunity to attend office hours with an instructor from the Faculty of Nursing to discuss your questions related to the Respiratory Critical Care module.
The focus of the module includes the normal anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system to assess, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care in critical care setting for patients with respiratory difficulty, using enhanced knowledge of pathopsychological processes.
- Analyze ABG’s and manage oxygen delivery including oxygenation and ventilation.
- Care for patients with acute respiratory failure ad acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
- Administer care for patients requiring endotracheal intubation or invasive mechanical ventilation, and troubleshooting ventilators,
- Manage patients on mechanical ventilation, including spontaneous awakening trials, neuromuscular blockade, prevention of complications, weaning from ventilation and extubation.
Instructor will be available via e-mail to answer questions and book individual appointments, as needed. Learners will be expected to review materials and complete quizzes to receive a grade of complete for this module.
- This module is offered through D2L Brightspace. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
- All module details can be accessed through Brightspace. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
- Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Brightspace. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brightspace works equally well in all modern browsers on PCs and Macs: MS Edge (recommended by IT Services for all apps), Chrome, Firefox and Safari (Mac). On mobile devices, Safari is the only supported browser on Apple iOS and Chrome is the only supported browser on Google Android. Please review the Brightspace system requirements.
This module is designed for nursing professionals or senior students (Nursing or Medical) who already have a basic understanding of critical care and wish to learn more about providing care to patients in the critical care areas.
It is expected that learners will have:
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
- Experience working with word processing, email and web browsing
- English language proficiency