Cybersecurity I – Introduction to Systems Security is part one of two of the Certificate in Cybersecurity. This online course covers fundamental topics in cybersecurity or information security. Learners will participate in live interactive classes to understand threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities and the architecture and design of a system. Content of this course is mapped with the CompTIA Security + curriculum for those who are interested in pursuing the certification.
Threats, Attacks, and Vulnerabilities
- Analyze potential indicators to determine various types of threats, attacks and vulnerabilities
- Explain the techniques used in penetration testing
Architecture and Design
- Explain the importance of security concepts in an enterprise environment and cloud computing
- Recognize secure application development, deployment, and automation concepts including authentication and authorization design concepts
Learners will actively participate in online classes and complete a combination of assignments. Learners will be assigned a grade of "complete or incomplete" upon completion.
- Required Textbook: CompTIA Security+ Review Guide: Exam SY0-601 by James Michael Stewart
- Download free open source Ethical Hacking software https://www.kali.org/downloads/
- Download Virtual Box, free software https://www.virtualbox.org/
This class is offered through D2L Brightspace and Microsoft Teams. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
All class materials can be accessed through Brightspace. The virtual class will be held in Microsoft Teams. A link will be provided through email. In order to access class materials and the virtual classroom you will have to activate your UWinID.
Please activate your UWinID as soon as possible. If you have any issues, please contact email@example.com.
Brightspace works equally well in all modern browsers on PCs and Macs: MS Edge (recommended by IT Services for all apps), Chrome, Firefox and Safari (Mac). On mobile devices, Safari is the only supported browser on Apple iOS and Chrome is the only supported browser on Google Android
Feel free to review the Brightspace system requirements.
In order to ensure you are academically prepared, it is expected that you have:
- Successfully completed Grade 12 or equivalency
- Successfully completed one grade 12 math or equivalency
- English Language Proficiency
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
Proof of completion may be requested for any of the above.