As project managers, we tend to keep our eyes focused on the finish line. For us, it is all about on-time completion. Once the deliverables have been handed over to our project sponsor or client, we relax -- the project is over. But is it really?
Project closeout always presents challenges: from getting final approvals, to performing administrative and contract closure, to capturing lessons learned, and more. At the rapid pace of business today, efficient project closure is a must and may even give you a competitive edge. This online instructor-led workshop introduces project managers to the best practices for getting final signoffs and closing out projects. Project managers will come away with a structured closeout framework and some templates that can be used to complete an orderly project closeout.
This course is intended for beginner and intermediate project managers across all industries.
This is one of three elective courses in Level II of the Accelerated Project Management Certificate.
- Introduction and Definitions
- The Project Charter and Plans (Start with the End in Mind)
- Getting Final Approvals
- Scope Barriers (Customer Satisfaction, Quality Issues)
- Lifecycle Barriers
- Post-approval Closure Activities
- Contract Closure Activities
- Administrative and Lessons Learned Closure Activities
- Marketing Closure Activities
Participants will gain practical skills to:
- Use a structured approach to get final sign-off and closing out a project
- Describe the barriers to project closeout including both scope and lifecycle barriers
- Describe how to overcome closeout activities including financial, administrative, and legal closure (and more!)
- Use lessons learned to drive continuous improvement
This course is offered in partnership with Procept Associates Ltd.
Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access. Learners will be sent a Zoom link approximately one week prior to the start of the course.
Active participation (at least 80% attendance) and successful completion of learning activities is required to successfully complete the course.
To ensure successful completion of this course, it is expected that learners will have:
- Completed the Project Management Essentials class
- Basic computer skills
- English language proficiency
- Some post-secondary education (strongly recommended)
If you have significant project management experience or a have completed a course in Project Management at a recognized institution then a Prior Learning Assessment may be considered for exemption of the Project Management Essentials prerequisite. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.