PMCP 7202 - Managing Variances: Cost and Schedule Fundamentals
One of the primary responsibilities of a project manager is to manage a project’s budget and schedule. Success is often measured based on meeting deadlines and delivering the project within financial and schedule constraints.
This role today is much more complex, requiring a deeper understanding of stakeholders’ goals, needs, expectations, requirements, and risk tolerance. A project manager must have a holistic perspective and a nuanced understanding of project elements and their interaction with budgets and schedules.
This online instructor-led course will review roles and responsibilities, estimating, how to be a good steward of project resources and how to adapt project scheduling and budgeting efforts to uncertainty with concepts such as rolling-wave planning and agile delivery.
This is one of five core courses in Level II of the Accelerated Project Management Certificate.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of the project manager and other subject matter experts such as schedulers, financial experts, and others
- Prepare a project budget and schedule
- Use fundamental scheduling techniques such as calculating critical path and float
- Use cost-benefit analysis, earned value and velocity for project decisions and to understand project health
- Appreciate the importance of a sophisticated and nuanced understanding of project objectives
This course is offered in partnership with Procept Associates Ltd.
Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access. Learners will be sent a Zoom link approximately one week prior to the start of the course.
Active participation (at least 80% attendance) and successful completion of learning activities is required to successfully complete the course.
To ensure successful completion of this course, it is expected that learners will have:
- Completed the Project Management Essentials class
- Basic computer skills
- English language proficiency
- Some post-secondary education (strongly recommended)