REGISTER TO ACCESS COURSE MATERIAL AND CLASS RECORDING ONLY
This interactive class offers individuals with an opportunity to review and refresh their foundational pharmacology knowledge through case scenarios.
Through live online instruction, students will examine the foundational pharmacological principles regarding pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and pharmacotherapeutics. Antibiotic classes, indications, selection process, drug contraindication, and therapy duration will be reviewed. Students will also be provided with an introduction to required prescription components and practice prescription writing.
Learners who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Define common terms used in pharmacology.
- Discuss the application of pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics in drug therapy.
- Discuss the relevance of pharmacokinetics (absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion) in relation to drug therapy.
- Discuss general principals of antibiotic therapy.
- Explain how antibiotics work against infections in the body.
- Classify antibiotics by their general category.
- Discuss the mechanism of action, indications, cautions, contraindications, routes of administration, and drug interactions for the classes of antibiotics.
- Identify drug-specific adverse and toxic effects for each the antibiotic classes discussed.
- Identify required legal components of a prescription.
Learners who complete the class will receive a Certificate of Participation.
This class is offered through Blackboard Collaborate. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
All course details can be accessed through Blackboard. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Blackboard. If you have any issues, please contact email@example.com.
Blackboard.uwindsor.ca works best with Google Chrome. You can also use Firefox or Safari. It is suggested that you avoid using Internet Explorer. There is a “Navigating Your Online Course” module and technical tutorials that you can review for a brief orientation to Blackboard once you log in. Feel free to review the full Blackboard preferred system requirements.
This class is open to any Medical Practitioner who would like to refresh their knowledge however it is geared toward students enrolled in the Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner (PHCNP) program. Participation in this class will prepare PHCNP students with the advanced therapeutic skills required for the program and for the Therapeutics I course. Proof of admission may be requested.