PMCP 7101 - Project Management Essentials
Level I: Project Management Essentials
Just six, half-day online sessions in this fundamental course presents an accessible, hands-on journey through a project from initiation to closing, with a special emphasis on initiation and planning. Course participants work in project teams to practice PM tools while they experience the realistic challenges that are encountered on projects. Although it is possible to customize a case study for a specific industry or organization, this course offers 2 case studies so there is something for everyone.
Real-life stories from a variety of industries are used to illustrate key concepts and best practices and the instructor encourages course participants to share their experiences. This ensures the discussions are realistic and relevant.
Project Management Essentials is compliant with the Project Management Body of Knowledge and it introduces tools and terminology without overwhelming participants with jargon. The course focuses on developing practical skills that can be applied immediately to increase the level of success on projects. The instructor leads you through a course that is fun, fast-paced, interactive, and adapted as required based on the needs of each audience.
Project Management Essentials is Level I of the Accelerated Project Management Certificate.
Introduction and PM Context
- Portfolios, programs, projects
- Project success, project life cycles
- Workshops: Project priorities, project success
Initiating the Project
- Stakeholders and requirements
- Project team, working in a matrix
- Workshops: Project stakeholders, project charter
Planning the Project
- Work breakdown structure
- Project Change Control
- Communications planning
- Project Risk Management
- Critical path scheduling
- Workshops: WBS, critical path scheduling, change control, project communications plan, risk management, project schedule
- Roles and responsibilities
- Scope management
- Conflict management
- Leadership and motivation
- Schedule control
- Cost Control
- Workshops: roles and responsibilities, conflict management, schedule updates, reporting and control
- Closing and lessons learned
- Workshops: lessons learned
- Use the terminology and processes of modern project management
- Prepare a complete and accurate project plan for your project
- Facilitate team discussions to learn from the PM experiences of others
- Practice PM skills using templates
- Value the benefits of a consistent PM methodology
The Project Management Essentials course is appropriate for individuals who are:
- Responsible for managing smaller projects.
- Participants on a project team of any size, especially those who have not yet been exposed to the tools, techniques and terminology of formal project management.
This course is offered in partnership with Procept Associates Ltd.
Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access. Learners will be sent a Zoom link approximately one week prior to the start of the course.
Daily online participation (at least 80% attendance) and successful completion of learning activities is required to achieve the course Certificate of Completion from UWindsor Continuing Education.
To ensure successful completion of this course, it is expected that learners will have:
- Basic computer skills
- English language proficiency
- Some post-secondary education (strongly recommended)