Course DescriptionThis online course covers fundamental topics in cyber security or information security. Learners will participate in live interactive classes to understand threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities, the architecture and design of a system, effective implementation of security solutions, incident response and governance, and risk and compliance. Upon completion of the class, learners will be able to investigate a network and create a report recommending steps to mitigate threats, attacks and vulnerabilities. Content of this course is mapped with the CompTIA Security + curriculum for those who are interested in pursuing the certification.
Threats, Attacks, and Vulnerabilities
- Analyze potential indicators to determine various types of threats, attacks and vulnerabilities
- Explain the techniques used in penetration testing
Architecture and Design
- Explain the importance of security concepts in an enterprise environment and cloud computing
- Recognize secure application development, deployment, and automation concepts including authentication and authorization design concepts
- Demonstrate an understanding of implementing secure mobile solutions, identity and account management controls and public key infrastructure
- Apply host or application security solutions and create secure network designs
- Demonstrate an understanding of installing and configuring wireless security settings
- Write reports analyzing a vulnerability of a system and apply cybersecurity solutions to the cloud and implement cybersecurity resilience
Operations and Incident Response
- Use the appropriate tools to assess organizational security
- Summarize the importance of policies, processes, and procedures for incident response and organizational security
- Use digital forensics to respond to an incident using appropriate data sources, mitigation techniques and controls to secure the environment
Governance, Risk and Compliance
- Explain the importance of applicable regulations, standards, or frameworks that impact organizational security posture
- Identify privacy concepts and risk management processes in relation to security
Learners will actively participate in online classes and complete a combination of assignments. Learners will be assigned a grade of "complete or incomplete" upon completion.
- Required Textbook: CompTIA Security+ Review Guide: Exam SY0-601 by James Michael Stewart
- Download free open source Ethical Hacking software https://www.kali.org/downloads/
- Download Virtual Box, free software https://www.virtualbox.org/
This class is offered through Blackboard Collaborate. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
All course details can be accessed through Blackboard. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Blackboard. If you have any issues, please contact email@example.com.
Blackboard.uwindsor.ca works best with Google Chrome. You can also use Firefox or Safari. It is suggested that you avoid using Internet Explorer. There is a “Navigating Your Online Course” module and technical tutorials that you can review for a brief orientation to Blackboard once you log in. Feel free to review the full Blackboard preferred system requirements.
In order to ensure you are academically prepared, it is expected that you have:
- Successfully completed Grade 12 or equivalency
- Successfully completed one grade 12 math or equivalency
- English Language Proficiency
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
Proof of completion may be requested for any of the above.