Course DescriptionThe Additional Qualification Course: String Education, Part 3 (Violin/Viola/Cello, Ukulele & Guitar) extends the knowledge and skills from Part 1 and Part 2, with a focus on leadership skills for all teachers in both elementary and secondary school settings. The Additional Qualification course: String Music Education, Part 3 (Violin/Viola/Cello, Ukulele & Guitar) supports the expectations outlined in the Ministry of Education curriculum policy documents and other Ministry of Education policies.
- the history and status of string programs in Canada and the United States, and advocacy.
- advanced bow technique and bow strokes, physics of tone production through string knowledge, postural issues in string education as a result of equipment choice, shifting and vibrato technique, and improvisation and creativity in the string classroom.
- criteria for choosing intermediate/advanced string repertoire, cultural and current issues in music preferences, alternative string styles, teaching styles, how classroom setup affects rehearsals, various rehearsal techniques, metacognition, and conducting skills.
- a good quality?webcam?with decent audio quality, access?to one full-size violin, viola, or cello (Rentals can be arranged through Long and McQuade music stores)
- ukulele, guitar
- a music stand
- Strategies for Teaching Strings, by Hamann and Gillespie https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Strategies+for+Teaching+Strings&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss
- ?Essential Elements Book 1 (Strings) Teachers Manual (https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Essential+Elements+Book+2+Teachers+Manual)
- Jerry Snyder Guitar Today Book 1 (Guitar) https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Today-Book-Jerry-Snyder/dp/0739008099
- Essential Elements for Ukulele - Method Book 1: Comprehensive Ukulele Method https://www.amazon.ca/Essential-Elements-Ukulele-Method-Comprehensive/dp/1480393886/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=essential+elements+method+book+1+ukulele&qid=1624796765&sr=8-2
- a digital tuner
- a metronome if desired
- Hold a "Certificate of Qualification" showing basic qualifications in two divisions (e.g., Primary/Junior, Intermediate or Senior.)
- OCT Certificate of Qualification must be in good standing.
- Successful completion of Part 2.
- Confirmation of Teaching Experience form, signed by a supervisory officer, confirming two year of teaching experience with a minimum of 1 year in the subject area, completed after teacher’s certification. This form must be received prior to the start date of the course and for course approval.
Important Notice: While we endeavour to be as accurate as possible while reviewing your qualifications for courses in our program, the Faculty of Education bears no responsibility for ensuring you have met the qualifications as per the guidelines of the Ontario College of Teachers. It is your responsibility to learn which prerequisites you will need. https://www.oct.ca/members/additional-qualifications/prerequisites