This online class provides an introduction to data analytics for business professionals. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the nature of business data, analyzing this data to obtain business insights, and communicating key insights derived from the application of data analytic techniques. Students will develop their ability to express business problems in forms that can be addressed using data analytics and their ability to perform analytics tasks using common software tools and methods. Students will also develop the foundations necessary for understanding and applying more advanced data analytics methods.
This course applies towards the following certificates: miniMBA
Learners who successfully complete the module will be able to:
- Explain the value and importance of data analytics to organizations.
- Differentiate among different forms of data and select suitable methods for preparing these different forms of data for analysis.
- Analyze business data using basic data analytic methods and software.
- Appraise the business significance of insights derived from the application of data analytic methods.
- Create visualizations that effectively communicate data-driven business insights.
- Evaluate the risks posed by organizational reliance on data analytics.
Learners will actively participate in online classes and complete a combination of assignments. Learners will be assigned a grade of "complete or incomplete" upon completion.
This course is offered through Blackboard Collaborate. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
All course details can be accessed through Blackboard. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Blackboard. If you have any issues, please contact email@example.com.
Blackboard.uwindsor.ca works best with Google Chrome. You can also use Firefox or Safari. It is suggested that you avoid using Internet Explorer. There is a “Navigating Your Online Course” module and technical tutorials that you can review for a brief orientation to Blackboard once you log in. Feel free to review the full Blackboard preferred system requirements.
Minimum admission requirements include:
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
- Experience working with word processing, email and web browsing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft EXCEL
- Knowledge in statistics and mathematical literacy equivalent to grade 12
- English language proficiency
- Some post-secondary education (recommended)
- At least 3 years related work experience (recommended)
Proof of any of the above admission requirements may be requested.