MMBA 7106 - Data Analytics Essentials
This online class provides an introduction to data analytics for business professionals. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the nature of business data, analyzing this data to obtain business insights, and communicating key insights derived from the application of data analytic techniques. Students will develop their ability to express business problems in forms that can be addressed using data analytics and their ability to perform analytics tasks using common software tools and methods. Students will also develop the foundations necessary for understanding and applying more advanced data analytics methods.
This course applies towards the following certificates: miniMBA
Learners who successfully complete the module will be able to:
- Explain the value and importance of data analytics to organizations.
- Differentiate among different forms of data and select suitable methods for preparing these different forms of data for analysis.
- Analyze business data using basic data analytic methods and software.
- Appraise the business significance of insights derived from the application of data analytic methods.
- Create visualizations that effectively communicate data-driven business insights.
- Evaluate the risks posed by organizational reliance on data analytics.
Learners will actively participate in online classes and complete a combination of assignments. Learners will be assigned a grade of "complete or incomplete" upon completion.
This class is offered online through Brightspace. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
Learning Management System Requirements
All course details can be accessed through Brightspace. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Brightspace. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review the full Brightspace system requirements.
Minimum admission requirements include:
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
- Experience working with word processing, email and web browsing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft EXCEL
- Some mathematical literacy equivalent to grade 12
- English language proficiency
- Some post-secondary education (recommended)
- At least 3 years related work experience (recommended)
Proof of any of the above admission requirements may be requested.
Please complete the assessment form to determine the Microsoft skills required for the class. Need to update your Microsoft Excel skills for the other miniMBA classes? Check out our Introduction to Microsoft Excel class.