The Human Resources Management Essentials online class will introduce the fundamental concepts and practices required to manage people effectively. A focus on guidelines for effective recruitment, selection, performance management and training will be highlighted. Participants will have the opportunity to examine the impact of employment legislation and organizational strategy on human resources management practices.
This course applies towards the following certificates: miniMBA
Learners who successfully complete the class will be able to:
- Understand legislative requirements in the employment relationship, including the Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code and Labour Relations Act.
- Identify critical requirements to attract and acquire skilled talent and explore best practices for developing talent.
- Determine strategies to effectively manage in a unionized environment, including dealing with challenging issues such as discipline, performance management, and job competition.
- Explore strategies to design and foster a Human Resource Strategy that directly aligns practices with organizational goals and actively contributes to the bottom line.
- Examine the strategic role of training and development within an organization and develop an organizational training needs analysis.
Learners will actively participate in online classes and complete a combination of assignments. Learners will be assigned a grade of "complete or incomplete" upon completion.
This course is offered through Blackboard Collaborate. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
All course details can be accessed through Blackboard. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Blackboard. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blackboard.uwindsor.ca works best with Google Chrome. You can also use Firefox or Safari. It is suggested that you avoid using Internet Explorer. There is a “Navigating Your Online Course” module and technical tutorials that you can review for a brief orientation to Blackboard once you log in. Feel free to review the full Blackboard preferred system requirements.
Minimum admission requirements include:
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
- Experience working with word processing, email and web browsing
- English language proficiency
- Some post-secondary education (strongly recommended)
- At least 3 years related work experience (strongly recommended)