Learn to analyze the four main financial statements, and a company’s financial health. This online accounting class delivers an overview of the various phases of the accounting cycle. This includes an introduction to the theory and concepts of financial accounting including generally accepted accounting principles and issues as to classification, recognition, realization, measurement and reporting. The emphasis of the course is from the perspective of the user of accounting information, allowing the candidate to become familiar with the information available and its content value. The accounting cycle and its role in the preparation of financial statements, in particular the Statement of Cash Flows is also emphasized.
This course applies towards the following certificate: miniMBA
Learners who successfully complete this short class will be able to:
- Discuss the purposes of financial accounting and to identify the main users of financial statements, their information needs, and the desirable characteristics of financial information required to meet those needs.
- Explain the objectives of financial statements, the purpose of each financial statement and assess the appropriateness of structure and content in relation to the objectives and purposes.
- Describe the regulatory frameworks for financial accounting, reporting and assurance and appraise their effectiveness in ensuring the integrity of financial statements.
- Describe the accounting assumptions, principles and concepts used in constructing financial statements and illustrate their effect in the interpretation of these statements.
- Demonstrate how business transactions impact the financial statements using the accrual basis of accounting.
Learners will actively participate in online classes and complete a combination of assignments. The final assignment includes the analysis of four financial statements and a one-page summary of the financial position of a company. Learners will actively participate in online classes and complete a combination of assignments. Learners will be assigned a grade of "complete or incomplete" upon completion.
This class is offered online through Brightspace. Learners will require access to a computer with high-speed internet access.
Learning Management System Requirements
All course details can be accessed through Brightspace. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Brightspace. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review the full Brightspace system requirements.
Minimum admission requirements include:
- Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
- Experience working with word processing, email and web browsing
- English language proficiency
- Some post-secondary education (recommended)
- At least 3 years related work experience (recommended)
Proof of any of the above admission requirements may be requested.
Some courses in the miniMBA Certificate require knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Please complete the assessment form to determine the skills required for the class. Need to update your Microsoft Excel skills for the other miniMBA classes? Check out our Introduction to Microsoft Excel class.