This is not a typical leadership course. Learners will be coached by industry experts across a variety of disciplines, in real-time, to gain practical experience and develop an individual leadership philosophy and style. Participants will be challenged to inspire action in others by practicing hands-on tactics and acquiring the necessary skills to lead resilient teams to successful outcomes, culminating in an industry sponsored capstone project.
Intro to Project Management
- Phases of a Project Framework
- Successful Project Criteria
- Triple Constraints
- Developing a Project Charter and Schedule
- Risk Management Identification
- Best Practices to Communicate to a Group
- Managing Costs, Schedule and Scope
- Ethically Managing Projects
- Closing the Project
- Traits of a Good PM
Communication Skills for Leaders
- Communication Frameworks
- Ways Communications Can Fail
- Using Non-Verbal Communication
- Key Role of Inclusiveness
- Improving Listening Skills
- Using Business Storytelling to Influence
- A communications formula for Clear and Effective Writing
- Three level of trusts to Develop Rapport
- A Million Ways to Die in a Presentation
Leading Self and Leading Others
- Defining Leadership
- Self-Reflection on your Leadership Skills
- Growth Mindset
- Emotional Intelligence
- Qualities of a Good Leader
- Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership
- Understanding your Followers and Adapting your Leadership Style
- Determining your Leadership Philosophy
- Creating a Leadership Development Plan
Supervision and Coaching for High Performance
- Role of a Supervisor
- Supervisor vs. Coach
- Handling Complaints
- Coaching Guidelines
- Managing Performance
- Setting performance objectives
- Conducting performance reviews
- Giving constructive feedback
- Begin to develop a coaching plan for an individual
- Why good teamwork matters
- Defining a Team vs. Group
- 6 Keys to a Resilient Team
- How to Build a Resilient Team
- Pros and cons of Team Conflict
- Stages of Teamwork and when conflict happens
- Using various Conflict Management Styles
- Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals
- Begin your plan to build a resilient team
Managing Organizational Change
- Understand the factors affecting organizational change
- Organizational Culture
- Employee Empowerment and Buy-in
- Strategies to Lead Successful Change
- Creating a Vision
- Organizational Strategies to implement change
- Strategies to reinforce the new changes
- Begin to develop a plan to manage organizational change
- Strategies to Support Employees
- Managing employee expectations
- Recognizing and managing the various employee reactions to change
- Handling Emotions and Rational Problem-Solving
- Handling employee resistance
- Coping with Change
- Recognize your own reaction to change
- Self-care during change
Your Capstone Project Experience
Your industry guided capstone project allows you to practice communication, leadership, teamwork and planning skills learned throughout the program. Working with a small team, you will strategize and develop a solution to a common leadership challenge.
Time Commitment: 3 hours of virtual instructional time per week for 8 weeks, 2-3 hours per week of work outside of the virtual meetings
- Live Virtual Instructional Time
- Learning Teams
- Capstone Project
- Action Planning Workbook
- Develop communication strategies and leadership plans in support of organizational strategy
- Recognize the project lifecycle and best practices in change management for teams
- Incorporate leadership tactics to manage teams, conflict, coach others and meet goals
- Build the foundations of a personal leadership mantra and understand the tools to implement
- Develop a growth mindset and an appreciation for lifelong learning
Who should attend?
- Individuals interested in progressing into, or are currently in, a supervisory or leadership role
- Newly appointed team leaders or supervisors
- Organizations invested in succession planning and /or developing current supervisors
In order to successfully complete the program, learners must attend live virtual instructional sessions, submit an action planning workbook and complete the capstone project presentation requirements.
It will be expected that learners will have:
- Basic computer skills
- English language proficiency
- 3-5 years of work experience
This an online course and learners must have access to a computer with high speed internet access. Instructional time will be held on Microsoft Teams. As a student of this course, the University of Windsor will provide you with access to Microsoft Teams.
Once you register you will be prompted to activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Microsoft Teams. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Microsoft Teams is available in three versions including desktop, web and mobile app. The Microsoft Teams desktop app is available for both Windows 7 and 10 and macOS 10.10 or later. On Windows, Teams requires .NET framework 4.5 or later; the Teams installer will offer to install it for you if you don't have it. If you are unable to install Desktop App, you can use web version of Teams. In addition, Microsoft Teams mobile app is available for iOS and Android devices. You can download it from your respective app store on the device. Full instructions will be provided before the course start.
About OSAP 2021-22 Micro-credentials Application
- This program is eligible for the OSAP 2021-22 Micro-credential application (OSAPMC).
- Participants must be registered into the program prior to applying for OSAPMC.
- You now have the option to place a deposit during registration to secure your spot, which will provide documentation for you to submit an OSAPMC application.
- Please note: Full payment must be made 1 week prior to the course start date regardless of OSAPMC approval.
- In the event that OSAPMC is not approved, please email us at email@example.com at least one 1 week prior to the course start date to request a refund.
- Register for this program accordingly to allow ample time for your application to be processed. It takes approximately 10-15 business days for the OSAPMC application to be processed.